Moving House can be an exciting time of fresh beginnings. However, there’s first the task of packing up your worldly belongings – a big job, but one which can be made much smoother by follow our Top 5 packing tips.
1. Declutter, Declutter, Declutter
Packing is so much easier when you don’t have so much of it to do! Take time before you move to get rid of anything you no longer need.
Start by looking around you and identifying what you no longer use frequently – old toys and clothes, extra bedding and crockery, unloved kitchen gadgets, old paperwork, etc. If something hasn’t been used for a full year, chances are you don’t really need it.
2. Use Professional Packing Boxes
You might be tempted to try and save money by collecting random boxes for free. However, building up a big enough stockpile of boxes can be very time consuming and may not save you money in the long run.
It takes extra time to stack and shift odd-sized boxes, and packaging made for other purposes may not be sturdy enough for moving house. Professional packing boxes are made to be hard-wearing, and their uniform size means your removalist can stack and transport them easily, saving them time and you money.
3. Pack Your Boxes Right
Pack items carefully to ensure they arrive at your new house in one piece.
- Heavy items should be packed in small to medium sized boxes, to ensure the box is not so heavy it can’t be safely lifted.
- Start with heavier items on the bottom of the box, and then fill the top with lightweight items.
- Make sure you fill any gaps, so items don’t move around and break. You can use paper, bubble wrap, towels/cloths or foam pieces.
- Layer together crockery with sheets of heavy paper, bubble wrap or cloths in between. Also individually wrap all mugs, glassware, etc.
- Make sure your boxes are taped securely, taping two times along the bottom seal, then along the top seal and around the box. We highly recommend investing in a proper tape dispenser and good quality packing tape, as it will save you a lot of time and frustration.
4. Label Your Boxes Clearly
Label your boxes with the room they need to go to, so your removalist will be able to place your boxes in the correct room without your help. Write on the top and side of the boxes, so the label can be seen when stacked.
Next, list the contents of each box. This is especially important because you may not unpack all your boxes straight away.
Have one ‘open first’ box that includes everything you’ll need when you arrive – refreshments, cleaning supplies, toiletries, and any immediate needs for your children or pets. Keep scissors in your handbag to open your first box.
5. Don’t Double Handle
Some things don’t need to be packed into boxes.Leave your wardrobe clothes on their hangers, so they can be put straight back into the new wardrobe. You can transport them using special wardrobe boxes, suitcases or by wrapping in heavy duty garbage bags. You can also leave clothes in drawers, taping or wrapping them shut.
Your removalist can also provide wrappings for larger items such as TVs, computer and pianos, so they won’t need to be pre-packed by you.
Moving house across Melbourne? Pinder Tower Movers are a family-owned household and furniture removals business, with over 30 years’ experience and consistent five-star customer reviews. They can help you with moves across Melbourne and interstate, specialised antique and piano removals plus packing and unpacking services.